Free AI motion capture
Get started with motion capture using your webcam or video-upload and animate in minutes.
Now anyone can animate for free from anywhere
Built for our community, Rokoko Video unlocks motion capture for everyone, from creators just starting out to studio animators looking for a quick way to pre-vizualize ideas.Record mocap for free
Use your webcam...
Right from your browser, use Rokoko Video to record your movement with your computer's webcam
View the mocap data in Studio
Use Rokoko Studio, our free software, to view and clean up the mocap data (our filters, include a foot lock and drift editor)
... or upload a video file
Upload your archive footage, as long as there is a clear view on the subject's body motion the mocap capture will work
Export to .FBX or .BVH
Choose a skeleton (HIK, Mixamo etc.) and use the file directly in your 3D tool of choice (Blender, C4D, Unity, Unreal etc.).
Get your move on in the Metaverse
When animating is as easy as using your webcam, your phone, or uploading a video, the possibilities are endless.Try out free AI mocap
Frequently asked questions
Join our thriving Discord community to get answers to your questions and engage with other creators using Rokoko Video.
Tips to optimize your capture quality
Follow these steps to make sure you get the best capture quality:
- The full body of one individual is in the frame at all times
- Avoid loose clothing. Likewise, avoid black clothing
- Ensure the camera is always stable (for example, on a tripod)
Where can I learn how to use Rokoko Video?
We recommend starting with a video tutorial created by our Creative Director, Sam. You can also head to our Discord to engage directly with us and other Rokoko Video creators.
How long does it take to process the mocap?
After capturing the motion and trimming the clip, you can click 'Animate' to begin processing the data. Generally, for every 10 seconds of data, it'll take around 30-40 seconds to process. But sometimes it can take a little longer, depending on server loads.
What if I don't see anything when I open Rokoko Studio?
Firstly, please make sure you're using Rokoko Studio Beta, and not Rokoko Studio Legacy. Inside Rokoko Studio, you need to click 'refresh' on the dashboard to update your library with the data that has just been captured.
Why buy mocap tools, like the Smartsuit Pro, if I can use Rokoko Video?
Rokoko Video is a great entry point in the world of motion capture, as well as a handy tool for pre-visualisation. Even though its ease of use, free price and data quality are very appealing, there will still be many situations where robust mocap tools like the Smartsuit Pro II, Smartgloves and Face Capture are needed, for example:
- Data quality: especially for more complex motions, inertial mocap tools, like the Smartsuit Pro II, provide higher fidelity capture.
- Occlusion: the A.I. relies on a complete view of the performer to estimate the skeleton's position. This means that occluded limbs will translate in less good tracking capabilities, either because the performer is outside of the video frame or because the position of the body of the performer makes it more difficult for the A.I. to make an estimate. With sensor based mocap, this is not an issue (and actually one of the main reasons even high-end productions turn to inertial mocap, like Trizz.tv's Dulux commercial).
- Real-time vs post-processed data: with A.I. motion capture, post processing is heavy but needed to generate the animation file, meaning it's very hard (unless you cut some big corners) to generate the animation in real-time. This is not an issue with Rokoko's inertial mocap tools: real-time integrations are supported for all major 3D software.
- Face and finger capture: even though video based face capture solution, like Rokoko Face Capture, are possible, this is not the case yet for finger tracking: a solution like the Smartgloves is still needed.
- Tracking space: background and lighting are important to capture a clear video (and thus a good animation), as is distance to the camera. Inertial tracking can offer more flexibility in this regard as well (the tracking area is as big as the WiFi range of your router and lighting or other environmental factors are irrelevant).
- Multiple performer recordings: today, there are no convincing A.I. motion capture tools that can capture more than 1 performer in the same recording. With Rokoko's inertial mocap tools however, up to 5 performer's motions can be captured at once.
Where can I get more help?
You're always welcome to reach out to our support team, but we also suggest checking out our Discord for faster responses and help from our community. Otherwise, be sure to check out our Youtube channel for tutorials.
What video resolution should I upload to Rokoko Video?
The Rokoko Video AI doesn’t necessarily need high resolution video inputs to generate the animation data, in most cases a compressed file will work just as well (and this also means that the processing time for your file will be faster). What matters most for the AI is clarity of the actor’s body, so you can optimise your space with good lighting and background, as well as clothing that makes it apparent where your body joints are placed.
“Awesome work from the Rokoko team. With just a tiny amount of cleanup, these results are spectacular.”
Alexander King Kwame
“I've always wanted to purchase a Rokoko mocap suit, but can't afford it yet, so this is a great way to start, thank y'all very much. This is awesome.”
“This is pretty awesome that mocap is now accessible to everyone. No fancy tech, fancy clothes or tracking equipment. Just a computer and a camera.”
“Great way to give back to the community. This is amazing!”